Marketing Day: Google updates Penguin, interview with Siegel+Gale’s CMO & more
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Facebook acknowledges discrepancy that had overstated a video view metric
Sep 23, 2016 by Greg Finn
A miscalculation in the “average duration of video viewed” has overstated the overall video performance (within this metric only).
- Bombora gives marketers self-service access to its B2B surge intent data
Sep 23, 2016 by Barry Levine
Instead of 24-hour-turnarounds for individual reports, client companies can now get unlimited access with immediate turnarounds.
- Google updates Penguin, says it now runs in real time within the core search algorithm
Sep 23, 2016 by Barry Schwartz
The latest announced release, Penguin 4.0, will also be the last, given its new real-time nature.
- 9 tools to help you succeed with Google SERP features
Sep 23, 2016 by Jordan Kasteler
Columnist Jordan Kasteler notes that strong search performance requires more than just ranking well in organic results. The tools listed here can enhance your existing listings and help you to appear in other places on the search results pages.
- Report: Apple may be six months from launching an Echo-like Siri assistant
Sep 23, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Device will need some differentiated features to compete effectively with Amazon, and soon, Google Home.
- 6 reasons why SEO fails, and how you can succeed at it
Sep 23, 2016 by Trond Lyngbø
Columnist Trond Lyngbø believes that SEO can be a powerful addition to your marketing mix, but its success will depend on how intelligently you invest in it.
- Are you losing money to ad fraud? 3 ways to protect yourself
Sep 23, 2016 by Grace Kaye
How can you reduce the risk of ad fraud for your display campaign? Columnist Grace Kaye discusses what you should and shouldn’t be doing to protect yourself and your ad budget.
- A CMO’s View: Siegel+Gale’s CMO on branding strategy during acquisitions & mergers
Sep 23, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
What’s in a name? Siegel+Gale’s Margaret Molloy tells why branding is so important during major brand acquisitions, mergers and de-mergers.
- The new era of brick and mortar: not business as usual
Sep 23, 2016 by Allan Haims
Columnist Allan Haims discusses the shifting retail landscape and how brick-and-mortar retailers can stay competitive by offering customers unique omnichannel shopping experiences.
- 3 ways agency account managers can work better with new client hires
Sep 23, 2016 by Matt Umbro
Dealing with a new hire can come with hurdles, but don’t let it intimidate you. Columnist Matt Umbro explains how to make the transition as smooth as possible and improve your client relationship.
- Content marketing best practices from Oracle
Sep 22, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
The Modern Marketing Essentials series from Oracle gives marketing leaders and practitioners the opportunity to supplement their existing marketing strategies with helpful insights. Check out this guide on content marketing and get: tips from leading content marketers and thinkers; content planning best practices; 7 must-have content marketing metrics; and checklists galore.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Bing Ads Editor now supports Shopping campaigns
- Plan device-specific user experience strategies with Google AdWords’ bid modifier
- Search in Pics: Google pills, sleep cot & Elle Exxe performs
- What’s the Google AdWords Health Score and how is it different from existing tools?
- El Santo Google doodle honors Mexican wrestler Rodolfo Guzmán Huerta
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Opportunity Marketplace: The Benefits for Advertisers, blog.affiliatewindow.com
- 2 Classic Ways Your Analytics Are Lying to You, www.wordstream.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 3 Things Your Small Business Blog Needs To Be Successful, www.blogherald.com
- How Gimlet Hacked Slack to Reinvent Its Comments Section, contently.com
- These Nightmare Stories Will Remind You How Important It Is To Backup Your Blog, www.blogherald.com
- Fresh Twitter departures include U.S. Moments lead and head of TV, techcrunch.com
- Google will reportedly launch a $129 Wi-Fi router on October 4, venturebeat.com
- Twitter may receive formal bid shortly, suitors said to include Salesforce and Google, www.cnbc.com
- Twitter Surges on Report It’s Said to Be Closer to Sale, adage.com
- Agencies Need to Figure Out Their Role in Content marketing, adage.com
- Branded Content Leads to 59% Better Recall Than Other Digital Ads, www.adweek.com
- How to Create ABM Content, blog.marketo.com
- How to Create Your Brand Story, www.ducttapemarketing.com
- How to Rise Above the Noise with Your Content Marketing, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- Unlocking (and Automating) Your Untapped Army of Content Promoters and Distributors, www.martechadvisor.com
- What Makes B2B Content Remarkable for Buyers?, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Why Your Content Marketing Needs an Influencer Strategy, www.cmswire.com
- How to Make Local Mobile Landing Pages That Convert, blog.crazyegg.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Glossary of Web Development Roles, www.practicalecommerce.com
- The 1st Step in a Website Redesign Is Mapping Customer Needs, www.cmswire.com
- The Most Innovative UX Of The Year, In 18 Projects, www.fastcodesign.com
- What Do Design and Innovation Leaders Talk About on Twitter?, www.adweek.com
- Why a site redesign should be the last resort, www.usertesting.com
- Amazon stock closes at over $800 – a record high, www.businessinsider.com
- Experian: E-commerce fraud attack rate up 15% over 2015, www.retaildive.com
- Four e-commerce metrics that can help increase ROI, www.internetretailer.com
- Handmade at Amazon expands into five European countries, www.retaildive.com
- Introduction to Amazon Ads Strategy, www.portent.com
- Email Design: Let’s Get Typographical, www.verticalresponse.com
- Seven Ways Newsletter Marketing Still Works for Professional Services Providers, www.marketingprofs.com
- This Checklist Ensures You Send Successful Email Newsletters, Every Time, www.blogtyrant.com
General Internet Marketing
- How Marketing is Becoming More Like PR Than You Think, www.martechadvisor.com
- Say Cheese for These 7 Free Stock-Photo Sites, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Why There’s No Such Thing as Being Too Obvious in Marketing, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Facebook and Intel built killer AIs that dominated a “Doom” video game competition, qz.com
- Is this the creepiest use of facial recognition tech yet?, techcrunch.com
- App-Less Beacons! A Marketer’s Guide To Current Tactics, www.aimclearblog.com
- How to Create a Messenger Destination Facebook Ad, www.jonloomer.com
- iOS Users Can Tell Twitter, “I Don’t Like This Tweet”, www.adweek.com
- Are Millennials Embracing Instagram’s Stories Feature?, www.marketingprofs.com
- How to Maximize Your Tweets with Twitter’s New Character Counts, mavsocial.com
- Is The NFL Using Twitter As A Digital Guinea Pig?, adexchanger.com
- Snapchat’s Mysterious ‘Snap to Unlock’ Ads Start to Pop Up, adage.com
- Still Hashtagging Every Word? You Could Be Hurting Your Brand, smallbiztrends.com
- The Biggest Facebook Publishers of August 2016, www.newswhip.com
- Twitter Ads: How to Advertise With Twitter, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- What we learned from hosting a social media contest, venturebeat.com
- Growing our Trusted Flagger program into YouTube Heroes, youtube.googleblog.com
- The Future of Marketing Lies with YouTube & Facebook Video, tubularinsights.com