Marketing Day: Google’s New CFO, Why Brands Fail At E-Commerce & Autoplay Videos On Twitter & YouTube
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Facebook’s Talks To Host Publishers’ Content Are Heating Up
Facebook is planning to begin testing the next several months, the New York Times reports. The NYT, BuzzFeed and National Geographic are expected to be the initial partners.
- In A Coup For Google, Morgan Stanley’s Ruth Porat To Become New CFO
Google announced this morning that current Morgan Stanley CFO will join Google, replacing Patrick Pichette who was Google’s second CFO and served the company for roughly seven years.
- Deeplink.me Launches AppWords, A Deep Linking Ad Platform For Complementary Apps
The mobile search platform is adding a keyword-driven advertising program to break down the walls between users’ apps with relevant deep links.
- Connected Experiences: Digital & Content Transformation
With the advance of the Internet of Things, marketers’ opportunities to connect with consumers becomes much more varied — and complicated. Contributor Andy Betts recaps an Adobe Summit session.
- Facebook’s Success Blueprint: Improved Online Learning For Brands And SMBs
Facebook has initiated a major online push to help brands, agencies and small businesses improve their ads and ad performance on the site.
- How To Take Your Marketing Analytics To The Next Dimension — Literally
As digital marketing becomes increasingly complex, “dimensions,” and how to analyze them, are becoming a key skill for marketing analysts. Columnist Kohki Yamaguchi explains why.
- Why Most Brands Fail At E-Commerce (And 4 Keys To How To Fix It)
The first step: stop waiting for sales to come to you. Columnist David Rekuc believes that for online retail success, your website should act as a salesperson, not a waiter.
- Twitter’s New Anti-Abuse Tool “Quality Filtering” Rolling Out To Verified iOS Users
Verified users on iOS will soon be seeing “Quality Filtering”, a new tool from Twitter that targets spam, abuse and threats.
- Israel’s Keywee Brings Content Marketing Platform To U.S., Raises $9.1 Million
Eric Schmidt’s venture capital firm and New York Times among early investors.
- Autoplay Is Now The Default For YouTube Videos
In testing since late last year, YouTube now serves desktop viewers a series of continuously playing videos.
- “Layout” App From Instagram Makes It Easier For Brands To Build Photo Collages
Standalone iOS app enables quick collage creation from camera rolls.
- New: Twitter Tests Suggestion Feature “You May Also Like”
In another effort to boost engagement, Twitter is experimenting with a display of additional tweets in the right-rail of individual tweet pages.
- Twitter Sets Autoplay Video Test In Motion
In a limited experiment, some users of Twitter’s iOS apps will see video play without pushing the play button.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- SPONSOR MESSAGE: Marketer’s Guide- Content Marketing Tools
- Content Marketing & Promotion To Drive Quality Links: Up Close @SMX West
- Bing May Remove Navigation To Additional Search Result Pages
- Yahoo Asking Firefox Users To Make Yahoo Search Their Default Search Engine
- Optimization On The Content Battleground: Human + Machine Learning
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Can Data Save the Mall?, adage.com
- Marketing: A Primary Breeding Ground For Big Data Innovation, adexchanger.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 3 Secret Weapons I Used to Launch My Fulltime Blogging Career, www.problogger.net
- A Very Simple Template to Decide What Content to Create For Your Business Blog, mackcollier.com
- 3 Ways to Create Action-Oriented Content Marketing, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- 37+ Tips on How to Build a Content Marketing Machine, blog.bufferapp.com
- 5 Steps to Personalize Repurposed Content for Your Target Audience, www.toprankblog.com
- 5 Techniques to Ensure Your Content is User Focused, www.stateofdigital.com
- Can Paid Content Promotion Influence Rankings?, www.koozai.com
- Content Marketing Performance: A Framework for Measuring Real Business Impact, www.marketingprofs.com
- How to Play Blackout Bingo with Your Content Marketing, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Inside BuzzFeed’s plan to prove its native ads work, digiday.com
- You’ve Heard of Banner Blindness; Get Ready for Content Blindness, adage.com
- 5 Simple Tweaks to Optimize Your Form Conversion, www.convinceandconvert.com
- 7 Reasons Your Prospects Decide to Run Away From You, blog.kissmetrics.com
- Five ways user insight improves A/B testing, econsultancy.com
- Speed Killing Conversions? Here`s How to Find Out, blog.crazyegg.com
- What Is A Landing Page And How Is It Used, www.searchenginepeople.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 4 Techniques of Successful UX Executives, uxmag.com
- Exceptional Tips for Companies Looking to Hire a UX Designer, usabilitygeek.com
- Amazon’s Attention Deficit and Spending Spree, www.wsj.com
- Is the product page still the most important page on ecommerce sites?, econsultancy.com
- Online B2B branding is ripe for improvement, a Forrester report finds, www.internetretailer.com
- Online vs. In-Store: What Do Canada’s Shoppers Prefer?, www.emarketer.com
- 7 Things Every Team Should Know Before Hitting “Send”, blog.returnpath.com
- 7 Ways to Keep Your Email From Ending Up in the Trash, smallbiztrends.com
- Enhance Your Email Segmentation Strategy, www.martechadvisor.com
- Google Pony Express May Let You Receive, Pay Bills Directly in Gmail, recode.net
- Top Six Email Marketing Trends You Need to Keep Pace With, www.marketingprofs.com
- Why Creative Matters in Email Marketing, www.adknowledge.com
General Internet Marketing
- 10 Skills a Digital Marketing Manager Needs to Succeed, www.jeffbullas.com
- 4 Trends That Will Keep Your Brand Globally Competitive, www.adweek.com
- Digital Marketing Strategy Part 1: Buyer Personas, www.moon-marketing.co.uk
- Do We Expect Too Much of CMOs?, www.cmswire.com
- Marketers to Boost Global Ad Spending to $540 Billion, adage.com
- Marketing to the B2B Millennial: 6 Things to Remember, www.komarketingassociates.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Adadyn Set to Change Ad Tech Landscape for Marketers, www.businesswire.com
- Magnetic Awarded Patent for Search Retargeting Technology, www.prnewswire.com
- Signal Global Survey Shows Single View of Customer Remains Out of Reach for Marketers, www.signal.co
- Book 5 New Categories of Business on Yelp, officialblog.yelp.com
- How Packaged Goods Companies Use Location to Market on Mobile, streetfightmag.com
- Lessons Learned While Building a Hyperlocal Startup, streetfightmag.com
- Microsoft Launches Azure App Services, A New Set Of Tools For Web And Mobile App Developers, TechCrunch
- Mobile will be a driving force in the travel industry for 2015, econsultancy.com
- 12 Frequently Asked Visual Marketing Questions (And the Resources You Need to Answer Them), blogs.constantcontact.com
- 12 Ways You Can Use LinkedIn for Branding to Stand Out, smallbiztrends.com
- 6 Social Media Monitoring Tools to Track Your Brand, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Are These Vendors the Best at Social Media Monitoring?, www.cmswire.com
- Can Tweets Predict Personality Traits and Emotional States?, www.adweek.com
- Facebook wants more beauty brands using its platforms, www.internetretailer.com
- Facebook’s Timehop Clone “On This Day” Shows You Your Posts From Years Ago, techcrunch.com
- From Heavy Metal to LinkedIn: Jason Miller Slays B2B Marketing, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- LinkedIn’s New Graduate School Rankings, blog.linkedin.com
- Reddit Now Lets Other Sites Embed User Comments, techcrunch.com
- Social Selling in 5 Steps, www.martechadvisor.com
- Social Sharing Habits: New Research Reveals What People Like to Share, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Twitter to CMOs: We’re for Data, Not Just Ad Impressions, adage.com
- 5 Unconventional Ways to Create Videos That Engage Facebook Fans, www.verticalresponse.com
- Do YouTubers Fuel Purchase Intent Among Teens?, www.emarketer.com
- Eight ways brands can add Meerkat into their marketing mix, econsultancy.com
- It took a decade, but mobile video is finally exploding, qz.com
- Over-The-Top Video A Balance Between “High-Touch And Automation” At AOL, adexchanger.com
- Snapchat: How Ephemeral Video Marketing is Engaging Viewers, www.reelseo.com