Marketing Day: IAB’s ad-blocker primer, SMX recap & Google’s new search ad display
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- WordPress releases plugin to support Facebook Instant Articles
Mar 7, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
WordPress has partnered with Facebook to launch a plugin that supports Instant Articles out of the box.
- IAB primer outlines anti-ad blocking choices for publishers — and their risks
Mar 7, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Report offers a range of options and approaches for publishers, featuring varying degrees of aggressiveness.
- Where will SEO go this year?
Mar 7, 2016 by Benjamin Spiegel
What changes are ahead for SEO in 2016? From the rise of social search to a shift in who enters the field, columnist Benjamin Spiegel predicts what we should expect to see.
- Why copying campaigns between search engines misses opportunities
Mar 7, 2016 by John Cosley
Are you making the most of the unique characteristics of each search engine? Contributor John Cosley explains paid search opportunities you may be missing.
- Up close at SMX West 2016: Advanced audience targeting
Mar 7, 2016 by Christi Olson
Columnist Christi Olson recaps insights from a group of industry veterans at SMX West who discuss how to get the most from advanced audience targeting.
- How marketers should adjust to Google’s new search ad display
Mar 7, 2016 by Brian Massey
How will the changes to Google’s ad layout affect search advertisers’ strategies? Columnist Brian Massey takes a look and explains why it may be an opportunity to optimize for your mobile traffic.
- Facebook closes Atlas’s video ad-serving gap, widens sales measurement
Mar 7, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook’s Atlas can now serve video ads across desktop and mobile and measure how ads lead people to purchase on different devices or in physical stores.
- Class action suit accuses Google of stealing “face prints” without permission
Mar 7, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Collection of images of people in Google Photos violates Illinois’ Biometric Information Privacy Act, according to the complaint.
- Your 6-point spring cleaning content marketing checklist
Mar 7, 2016 by Quinn Whissen
With spring in the air, it’s time to get your content marketing in order. Columnist Quinn Whissen outlines some ways to clear out the clutter and give your content strategy a fresh start for the year.
- DSP Trade Desk adds native ad support, with Sharethrough as first integrated SSP
Mar 7, 2016 by Barry Levine
The announcement means that programmatic implementation of native ads has taken another step forward.
- Be There. Introducing The Bing Network.
Mar 7, 2016 by Sponsored Content: Bing Ads
At Bing, we’re building a platform that gives people “knowledge for doing” in a more natural, predictive and personal way.
- Forrester Wave Report Names Top Four Social Listening Tools
Mar 4, 2016 by Barry Levine
Research firm points out that with new features continually being added, social listening platforms are evolving into “social relationship” ones.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- App marketers can now upload customer IDs to AdWords for targeting on Google Display Network
- Google Dance 2016: The recap post
- What different consumer groups really want from local business websites
- SMX West recap: Using search science for keyword research
- Google tests clickable phone numbers in organic search results
- Google Experimenting With Local Business Cards In Search Results
- Google’s Candidate Cards Being Tested For Businesses?
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- The Marketing < > Analytics Intersect: My Newsletter!, www.kaushik.net
Blogs & Blogging
- 4-Point Approach to Writing an Effective Blog Post, www.searchenginejournal.com
- 5 Ways to Successfully Sell Products on Your Blog, www.blogherald.com
- What You Need to Have Ready Before You Launch Your Blog, www.problogger.net
- 4chan founder Chris Poole going to Google, Business Insider
- Twitter Editorial Director Karen Wickre Is Leaving the Company, recode.net
- 5 rules for adapting your company to the age of group-storytelling, venturebeat.com
- Clarifying the Noise: The Content Marketing Spectrum, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- How Native Advertising can Increase Site’s Revenue, www.searchenginejournal.com
- LinkedIn: 31 Sophisticated Content Marketing Thought Leaders to Follow, www.toprankblog.com
- The Brain Science Behind Business Storytelling, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Tough Sales Goal? Get Your Content to Work Harder, pushingsocial.com
- How To Improve Conversions By Localizing An App – A Case Study On “Paper”, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Make Your Web Page an Awesome Landing Page, www.searchenginejournal.com
- The Ultimate Guide To Increasing Webinar Signups, blog.crazyegg.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- Customer Experience is Getting Worse, www.cmswire.com
- Designing Social Interfaces: Principles, Patterns, and Practices for Improving the User Experience, www.uxmatters.com
- Governments Split On IANA Transition, domainincite.com
- Spamhaus Publishes List of “10 Worst Top Level Domains”, www.thedomains.com
- 3 Important Trends Retailers Must Know, www.verticalresponse.com
- Amazon to restore encryption to Fire tablets after complaints, www.reuters.com
- Developing a Content-marketing Editorial Calendar for Ecommerce, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Digital Transformation in the Retail Sector: challenges & opportunities, econsultancy.com
- U.S. shoppers, lured by the loonie, flock to Canadian e-commerce sites, www.internetretailer.com
- HTML Email Marketing Benefits, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Late Email Inventor’s Enduring Legacy: The @ Symbol, www.fastcodesign.com
General Internet Marketing
- Brands Making Packages the Media of the Future, adage.com
- CMOs: ‘Technographics’ is the new demographics, venturebeat.com
- How to Start the Enterprise Marketing Journey, blog.marketo.com
- Medium plans publisher monetization within a month, considers paywalls and premium content, venturebeat.com
- The Modern C-Suite Journey – from Digital Revolution to Customer Backing, www.martechadvisor.com
- What The C-Suite Needs To Think About When It Comes To Delivering On-Demand, streetfightmag.com
- What You Need to Know About Account-Based Marketing, www.marketingprofs.com
- What’s The Difference Between Multichannel and Omnichannel?, thedma.org
Internet Marketing Industry
- IAB Releases Ad Blocking Primer That Recommends a New “DEAL” Between Publishers and Consumers, www.iab.com
- Understanding the CMO-CTO Divide, www.martechadvisor.com
- 3 Practices for Successful Mobile Marketing, www.martechadvisor.com
- Facebook gives Messenger a Material Design makeover on Android, techcrunch.com
- Google Photos adds support for Live Photos on iOS, TechCrunch
- Google’s AMP: The Fun and User-Friendly Guide to Accelerated Mobile Pages, www.copyblogger.com
- How Facebook’s ‘App for Everything’ Could Revolutionize Media and Marketing, contently.com
- Increase customer activation and retention with easy app engagement, adwords.blogspot.com
- Mozilla tests the waters for Firefox OS IoT apps, including a Samantha-style virtual assistant, TechCrunch
- School of Mobile: 5 things you need to know NOW about in-app marketing, www.tune.com
- The New York Times joins the ad-blocking wars, Poynter Online
- What retailers selling on mobile can learn from Tinder, www.retaildive.com
- Why Every Marketer Should Be Keeping Up With the Evolution of Messaging Apps, www.adweek.com
- Why the IoT Needs a Chief Location Officer?, www.martechadvisor.com
- ‘How Snapchat Built a Business by Confusing Olds’ and 4 Other Stories You Should Read, contently.com
- A Social Experiment In Digital Self-Awareness, www.aimclearblog.com
- Best Practices for Twitter Polls, According to Twitter, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Facebook Messenger now lets you hail a Lyft car, www.theverge.com
- How Snapchat Built a Business By Confusing Olds, www.bloomberg.com
- How to Pin Your Facebook Carousel Ad as a Page Post, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How to React to Facebook Reactions: All Your Business Needs to Know, www.searchinfluence.com
- How to Start Building Your Personal Twitter Brand Today, www.adweek.com
- Is Instagram’s blocking of social cross-promotion a harbinger of things to come?, econsultancy.com
- Pinterest Marketing In 10 Minutes A Day, www.searchenginepeople.com
- What Will Social Look Like at the End of 2016?, simplymeasured.com
- What’s Next For Brands’ Social Marketing Strategies?, multichannelmerchant.com
- How Virtual Reality Can Grow Your Business, smallbiztrends.com
- It’s official: Meerkat has lost the live-streaming battle to Periscope, qz.com
- Meet The Brands Who Broke Into the Mainstream with YouTube, www.reelseo.com
- Search for YouTube Videos By Location With New Third Party Tool, www.searchenginejournal.com
- What Digital Video Services Are Viewers Accessing?, www.emarketer.com
- What marketers need to know about Facebook’s livestreaming push, econsultancy.com