Marketing Day: Martech data, avoiding fake news on GDN & YouTube’s latest milestone
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- 5 ways you can improve your new business’s visibility on Google Maps
Feb 28, 2017 by Wesley Young
Columnist Wesley Young compares the online presence of several new businesses to find out what makes one stand out and consistently outperform the others in Google Map search results.
- Why martech data should drive ad tech
Feb 28, 2017 by Chuck Moran
Customer data, the engine that drives your ad campaigns, is often divorced from the ad tech stack. Columnist Chuck Moran discusses how integrating martech and ad tech stacks can enhance programs, optimize delivery and maximize ROI on media spend.
- Need to contact Google My Business support? Use Twitter!
Feb 28, 2017 by Greg Gifford
While phone support may no longer be accessible if you need help with Google My Business, columnist Greg Gifford notes that social media support is available (and good!).
- Brand safety: Avoiding fake & hyperpartisan news on the Google Display Network
Feb 28, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
Thanks to programmatic targeting, brands can find their ads displaying next to editorial and other ad content that may not be in keeping with their values and messaging.
- Google isn’t actually tackling ‘fake news’ content on its ad network
Feb 28, 2017 by Ginny Marvin
Here’s why Google’s policy update to its publisher terms does not keep brand ads from showing up on hyperpartisan, conspiracy theory-laden political sites — and the types of scams it is aimed at.
- YouTube viewers now consuming 1B hours of video content a day
Feb 28, 2017 by Amy Gesenhues
The Wall Street Journal reports YouTube’s daily global viewership is on track to surpass the number of hours per day people spend watching TV in the U.S.
- Google and others expand initiative launching new RCS messaging platform
Feb 28, 2017 by Barry Levine
The new native Android messaging app and standard is the mobile platform’s answer to Facebook’s WhatsApp, Apple’s iMessage and the other increasingly capable messaging apps.
- Using social media to jump-start your content marketing strategy
Feb 28, 2017 by Jordan Kasteler
Social media and content marketing go hand-in-hand. Columnist Jordan Kasteler shares ways to ensure your social efforts are getting your content in front of more eyeballs.
- Shine is now Rainbow, dropping network-level ad-blocking for ad-filtering
Feb 28, 2017 by Barry Levine
The company says it has always been about customer experience, but now it’s screening ads against IAB and other standards.
- Report: The PC is over, the ‘app boom’ is, too
Feb 28, 2017 by Greg Sterling
Smartphones have grown at the expense of other devices, but most of the growth is now in developing markets, according to Adobe.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 5 Self-Service Platforms for Mobile Analytics, Street Fight
- Top 10 Mobile App Analytics Platforms for your Toolbox, Web Analytics World
Blogs & Blogging
- 50 Killer Tools You Need for Your Business Blogging, Small Biz Trends
- These Simple Changes Will Make Your Blog Ultra User-Friendly, Blog Tyrant
- Why Your Blog Needs SEO, Problogger
- Google and Facebook face an unlikely competitor in emerging markets: a telecom giant, Quartz
- Snap expects some IPO investors to make year-long commitments, Reuters
- Snap: Rewriting “Art of War” for social networking by not documenting anything, TechCrunch
- 3 Museum Design Principles to Help Your Content Marketing, Content Marketing Institute
- Content Distribution Checklist: How to Make the Most of Your Content Creation Efforts, Internet Marketing Ninjas
- Determining Your Content Marketing Success, Compukol
- How to Create Content That Keeps Earning Links (Even After You Stop Promoting It), Moz
- How to make story your core message, Duct Tape Marketing
- One In Three Publishers Don’t Follow The FTC’s Native Guidelines, AdExchanger
- Advertising Personalization Redefined: How to Optimize your Spend with Landing Pages, MarTech Advisor
- How to Design a Landing Page That Converts, Constant Contact
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 5 Reasons Why UX-Led Companies Are The Future, Usability Geek
- Choosing an Infographic style: Infographic Maps, CopyPressed
- How To Optimise Images On Your Website, Koozai
- Website accessibility: Understanding the ADA for e-commerce, Internet Retailer
Display & Contextual Advertising
- A beginner’s guide to display ad A/B testing, 3Q Digital
- 7 Golden Steps to Creating an Email Newsletter, VerticalResponse
- Email isn’t Dead: How to Avoid Brand Fatigue with Time- and Content-optimized Messaging, MarTech Advisor
- Email Makeover: 6 Ways We Redesigned a Pet Retailer’s Email with Context, Movable Ink Blog
- Follow Up Emails: How to Be More Engaging (And Sound Less Annoying), MarTech Advisor
- How to Improve Email Open Rates – 6 Tips, MarketingProfs
- Not trying to sell? Here’s what you send, My Emma
General Internet Marketing
- Customer Marketing in the Engagement Economy, Marketo
- Marketers: Dust Off Those Personas and Use Them, CMS Wire
- Study: CPG Now Spends More on Digital Than Traditional Ads, AdAge
- Why Your Brand Needs Multiple CPA Targets, Adweek
- Why Do B2B Marketers Accept Low Viewability Rates?, AdExchanger
Internet Marketing Industry
- 23 Cool Tools for Social Media Marketers, Social Media Examiner
- Do Chat Bots Face the Same Doomed Future as Branded Apps?, Adweek
- How Are Retailers Using Artificial Intelligence?, eMarketer
- To Sell Cross-screen, Look to the Technology Stack, MarTech Advisor
- Google to add new tools in Play Store to help more games get discovered, Android Authority
- How Top Apps Are Leveraging Referral Marketing to Boost Downloads, Duct Tape Marketing
- Mobile malware evolution 2016, Securelist
- Nielsen Releases Cross-Device Provider Verification Powered by Digital Ad Ratings, MarTech Advisor
- Amazon AWS S3 outage is breaking things for a lot of websites and apps, TechCrunch
- Google Wants an ‘Open Dialogue’ Between Platforms and Publishers When It Comes to Monetization, AdWeek
- 10 Stats You Need to Know About B2B Marketing on LinkedIn, The AdStage Blog
- 139 Instagram Marketing Facts Every Brand Needs to Know, Convince and Convert
- Adored by Teens, Snapchat Getting Popular With Their Parents, AdAge
- eMarketer Releases New Snapchat Usage Numbers, eMarketer
- How 5 brands including Hyatt and Grubhub are using Snapchat Spectacles, Digiday
- How to Get Started on Whatsapp, Small Biz Trends
- How to Market Your Brand to All Generations with Social, Content, and More, Simply Measured
- Ranking The 10 Biggest Social Media Influencers Of All Time, MediaKix
- Seven brands already using Instagram’s new slideshow tool, Econsultancy
- Snapchat Brand Account Benchmarks – Followers, Stories, Snaps & Media Types, MarketingProfs
- Snapchat Is Growing Thanks to Older Americans, While Millennial Usage Declines, Adweek
- Social Media Marketing Checklist: 16 Common Mistakes to Avoid, Top Rank Marketing Blog
- Social Media Storytelling Formulas: 11 Quick-Fire Ways to Create Your Stories, The Buffer Blog
- Using Snapchat to Grow Your WordPress Following, WPExplorer
- What Makes People Buy from a Brand They Follow on Social Media?, eMarketer
- More ways to watch and play with AR and VR, The Official Google Blog
- UK publishers see Facebook Live viewership stagnate, Digiday
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.