Marketing Day: The Pokémon Go craze, Amazon Prime Day results & more
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Marketers look to climb aboard the Pokémon Go phenomenon
Jul 13, 2016 by Barry Levine
A week since its launch, the game of finding imaginary creatures in the real world has turned augmented reality into a major marketing tool.
- Amazon avoids a #PrimeDayFail on social media this year
Jul 13, 2016 by Matt McGee
Despite minor ordering problems, most of the social conversation around Amazon’s Prime Day this year was positive.
- Amazon’s competitors saw a boost from Prime Day, too
Jul 13, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
E-commerce retailers saw traffic and conversion rate lifts on Prime Day as more shoppers came online to buy.
- Don’t call it a “geofence.” UberMedia introduces the “Optimal GeoSpace”
Jul 13, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Company’s dynamic targeting is based on actual foot traffic patterns throughout the day and is specific to each location.
- Prime Day the “biggest day ever” for Amazon and its Alexa devices
Jul 13, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Amazon Echo sold massively, and according to the company, there was one v-commerce purchase per second.
- A brief introduction to data visualization theory for marketers
Jul 13, 2016 by Paul Shapiro
We marketers work with a lot of data, but how can we present these data in an easily understandable way? Check out this primer on data visualization by columnist Paul Shapiro.
- Contribution margin: How to tell if your marketing makes cents
Jul 13, 2016 by Jacob Baadsgaard
Is your marketing making you money or losing it? Columnist Jacob Baadsgaard explains how determining and tracking your contribution margin can help your marketing initiatives remain profitable.
- How retailers are getting mobile engagement wrong
Jul 13, 2016 by Josh Todd
How can retailers overcome their challenges with mobile? Columnist Josh Todd shares what they’re doing wrong and how they can turn things around.
- Changing the Cannes conversation: Creativity isn’t enough
Jul 13, 2016 by Ben Barokas
While columnist Ben Barokas agrees that creativity is one key ingredient of a solution to ad blocking, his dispatch from Cannes argues for a more holistic approach.
- FTC spanks Warner Brothers for failure to disclose social influencer payments
Jul 12, 2016 by Greg Sterling
The company paid YouTube and social media influencers to promote a video game to their audiences without revealing that the content was sponsored.
- Mozilla envisions a new kind of crowd-sourced content recommendation
Jul 12, 2016 by Barry Levine
The goal of its new Context Graph project: Help users find useful content, based on what other users have found useful for that topic.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Google expansion of Local Inventory Ad product search now live in Maps and knowledge panels
- Moz shows you the faster way to find duplicate local business listings
- How to conjure big PPC profits with a few hundred dollars
- Suffered a rankings drop? Use this checklist to diagnose why
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Are Marketers Satisfied With How They’re Using Data?, www.marketingprofs.com
- Big Data Analytics Success Depends on These 3 Ingredients, www.cmswire.com
- What is predictive analytics and how could you use it?, www.econsultancy.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 11 Things You Must Do After Publishing a New Blog Post, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Blog or vlog?, yoast.com
- How to Get Your Readership Involved and Grow Your Audience with Community Challenges, www.problogger.net
- Google acquires team behind website sharing app Kifi, shutting it down soon, venturebeat.com
- Vine isn’t growing and most of its top executives have left, www.recode.net
- 5 Content Marketing Ideas for August 2016, www.practicalecommerce.com
- 6 Musts for Legal Content Marketing, www.thunderactive.com
- A B2B Content Marketing Case Study: Presentation for the Boston Marketo User Group, www.komarketingassociates.com
- Are You Guilty Of Allowing Good Content To Rot?, www.searchenginepeople.com
- How publishers wring new value from old content, digiday.com
- The Best Way to Get Your Brand Message Out in a Noisy World, www.convinceandconvert.com
- How The Halo Effect Affects Optimization (the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly), conversionxl.com
- How to Get Top Management Buy-in for a Conversion Rate Optimization Program, vwo.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- A Guide to Writing Better Business Documents, www.distilled.net
- How to Add Custom Styles to the WordPress Visual Editor, www.wpexplorer.com
- How to Design Your Site Like Airbnb, blog.crazyegg.com
- Companies still love descriptive .com domains, domainnamewire.com
- 9 Ecommerce Conversion Optimization Tactics That’ll Earn You Bags of Money, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- Amazon has reduced Alexa’s mistakes in completing tasks by a factor of 2, venturebeat.com
- Email Marketing Automation, Without Turning Subscribers Off, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Email Marketing Gets a Boost From … Louis CK?, www.cmswire.com
- Email Newsletters Hit a Speed Bump: Inaccurate Open Rates, adage.com
- The Benefits of Email Templates (and How to Use Them), movableink.com
General Internet Marketing
- 5 Ways to Win with Web Personalization, blog.marketo.com
- Beyond Digital Marketing: Lessons from Digital Business Innovators, www.cmswire.com
- The 10 Best-Perceived Brands Among Consumers in 2016 (So Far), www.adweek.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- 7 Ways Technology Can Make You a Smarter Content Marketer, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Commissioned Survey from Persado Shows Marketers Turning to Automation to Improve Customer Engagement, www.martechadvisor.com
- Hot Trends in Marketing Automation You Need to Know, www.marketingprofs.com
- Facebook lifts the veil on its mobile device testing lab, techcrunch.com
- Facebook’s Oregon data center has a lab with nearly 2,000 smartphones to test its apps, venturebeat.com
- Hangouts for Android will add video messaging feature that’s been on iOS version for months, venturebeat.com
- Mobile marketing strategy: Four key charts from our latest research, econsultancy.com
- Use These Methods to Get Your Mobile Ads Seen, www.tune.com
- Yahoo Sports & Finance Get a New Look, yahoo.tumblr.com
- 6 Browser Extensions for Busy Social Media Marketers, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Facebook, Twitter, And Breaking News’ Special Relationship, www.buzzfeed.com
- How Brands Can Adjust To Facebook’s Big Algorithm Change, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- Instagram’s algorithmic feed is the worst thing to happen to me all summer, techcrunch.com
- Instagram’s most-liked picture is a Coca-Cola ad with Selena Gomez, digiday.com
- Oh No! Did Facebook Just Kill Unpaid Marketing Content?, smallbiztrends.com
- Smart Monetization for Publishers in a Facebook Instant Articles Era, www.adweek.com
- Snapchat for B2B: Examples of Brands in Action, Best Practices & Tips, www.toprankblog.com
- Ultimate Facebook Ad Types Cheat Sheet, www.wordstream.com
- Why You Should Switch to an Instagram Business Account, blogs.constantcontact.com
- WSJ Standing Back in Wary Approach to Facebook, adage.com
- A Beginner’s Guide to Creating Video Content, www.marketingprofs.com
- Essential Tools and Tactics for Video on Social, www.newswhip.com
- Facebook Expands Video Engagement Custom Audiences; Get the Skinny, 3qdigital.com
- Instagram Is Inspiring Marketers to Make Square-Shaped Videos for Facebook, www.adweek.com
- What The Future Of Online News Video Looks Like, www.newswhip.com