Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Snapchat copies Instagram, Facebook Messenger ads & more
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Snapchat copies two of Instagram’s features, adds World Lenses
Nov 8, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Snapchat adds ways to rewind and share Stories and rolls out World Lenses to augment the reality around you.
- Gartner Digital Marketing and Advertising Hype Cycle 2016
Nov 8, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
When new technologies make bold promises, how do you discern the hype from what’s commercially viable? And when will such claims pay off, if at all?
- Why is free money that can be used on local search marketing being left on the table?
Nov 8, 2016 by Wesley Young
Up to $35 billion of co-op funds go unused every year. Wesley Young of the LSA takes a look at trends in the use of co-op funds, challenges and threats arising from digital media and opportunities to make co-op work for you.
- How social ads’ location targeting can side-step electioneering laws
Nov 8, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Ads on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and especially Snapchat can be pinpointed to people within polling places’ no-signs zones.
- Ads in Facebook Messenger are officially here
Nov 8, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook Messenger rolls out sponsored messages and other new ways for brands to strike up conversations with people.
- Holiday optimization tips for remaining competitive in the SERP
Nov 8, 2016 by Lydia Jorden
Columnist Lydia Jorden discusses ways to stay competitive in local search during the holidays, when competition for positioning gets particularly intense.
- Google introduces Android Auto ‘phone-screen experience’ to expand market
Nov 8, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Initiative seeks to make Android Auto experience accessible on the handset, to those without compatible in-dash displays.
- 10 ways to “science the s**t” out of marketing
Nov 8, 2016 by David Booth
You’ve got tons of data, but what value are you really getting from it? Columnist David Booth explains the multitude of ways data science can help your business beat the competition.
- IBM buys Fluid’s Expert Personal Shopper for Watson
Nov 8, 2016 by Barry Levine
This latest acquisition by Big Blue’s digital agency gives Watson a platform to become an expert recommender for clothes, insurance, travel, and other products/services.
- The FTC isn’t going to save influencer marketing from itself, but the industry could
Nov 8, 2016 by Chuck Moran
Contributor Chuck Moran believes marketers need to look beyond FTC efforts and set a standard to ensure transparency in influencer marketing.
- The insider’s guide to choosing a programmatic buying platform
Nov 8, 2016 by Brad Bender
Success in programmatic starts with finding the right buying solution. Contributor and Googler Brad Bender shares the four questions you should ask when choosing a programmatic buying platform.
- Report: Nearly 90 percent of airports deploying proximity sensors, beacons
Nov 7, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Number of indoor and proximity-based sensors grew by 42 percent sequentially, according to Q3 Unacast Proxbook.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 10 Metrics to Track for Social Media Success, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- 3 Areas of Focus for Today’s Data-Driven CMO, www.cmswire.com
- How to Improve Retailer Customer Tracking Across Digital Channels, multichannelmerchant.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 11 Ways to Hack the LinkedIn Pulse Algorithm, www.wordstream.com
- How to Make Time for Blogging During Your Lunch Break, ProBlogger
- Several publishers on Medium have seen their traffic drop, digiday.com
- 5 Entrepreneurs Who Built Their Brands with Content Marketing, www.jeffbullas.com
- 5 Tips to Create Content Your Audience Will Love, moz.com
- 9 Definitions: How Content Marketing Works Within Marketing, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Content Discovery Networks: Friend or Foe?, www.stateofdigital.com
- Creating a Ripple Effect Is Key for Branded Stories to Swim, Not Sink, www.adweek.com
- Eight Missed Opportunities in Your B2B Content, www.marketingprofs.com
- How Many Dollars Did That Content Drive? A Multi Level Analysis., simplymeasured.com
- The Invisible Forces Behind Intelligent Content: A Marketer’s Guide, www.cmswire.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 5 Ad Copy Tips to Help SMBs Compete for Clicks, 3qdigital.com
- 5 best practices for innovative UX research, www.usertesting.com
- 7 Web Form Optimization Insights from Testing Hundreds of Forms, conversionxl.com
- Do You Need a Copywriter?, smallbiztrends.com
- Everything You Thought You Knew About User Experience Is Wrong, www.cmswire.com
- Top 5 Website Quality trends in 2017, multichannelmerchant.com
- Why Building a Culture of Optimization Improves the Customer Experience, analytics.googleblog.com
- “Shadow content policing” fears at ICANN 57, domainincite.com
- Alibaba’s E-Commerce Fest Has Changed the Game For Agencies, adage.com
- Holiday e-commerce promotions include TV ads and online-only deals, www.internetretailer.com
- How to get mcommerce search right as ecommerce turns mobile first, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Retailers try to get voters from the ballot box to their online stores, www.internetretailer.com
- What Retailers Need to Know About Millennial Mobile Shopping Habits, multichannelmerchant.com
- Build a Better Email Newsletter, movableink.com
- Email showdown: Harry’s vs. Dollar Shave Club, myemma.com
- The Psychology Behind a Perfectly Formatted Email Newsletter, blog.crazyegg.com
General Internet Marketing
- Influencer Marketing 101 – Top Influencers Share Their Success Secrets, www.searchenginepeople.com
- The Accelerating Consolidation of the Digital Ad Market, streetfightmag.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Furniture Retailer Industry West finds new buyers with real time Account-Based Creative from Adaptive and Bombora, www.marketwired.com
- How Our New Dashboard Makes Your Data Actionable, blog.mailchimp.com
- How to Hire a Marketing Automation Manager, blog.marketo.com
- What Can the Last 10 Years In Ad Tech Tell Us About The Next 10?, adexchanger.com
- Your Favorite Tech Is Unleashing Monsters From the Id, adage.com
- 2017 mobile marketing trends: 4 predictions from TUNE CEO, www.tune.com
- Google’s Accelerated Mobile Pages: 12 pros and cons, econsultancy.com
- Study: Retailers abandon generic mobile coupons during holidays, www.retaildive.com
- Google plugs Gmail vulnerability that allowed hackers to post from your account, www.theinquirer.net
- 10 Social Media Tactics for B2B Marketers, www.cmswire.com
- 5 Changes on Instagram That Social Media Marketers Must Know About, www.socialbakers.com
- 7 Awesome Hacks to Promote Your Social Media Posts, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Are You Monitoring Social Mentions? Here’s How They Can Influence Your Marketing Strategy, blog.bufferapp.com
- Are Your Social Listening Insights Actually Valid?, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- Facebook speeds up its data center network with the launch of its Backpack switch platform, techcrunch.com
- Facebook takes on LinkedIn with new job opening features, www.reuters.com
- Facebook, LinkedIn Ads Deliver Best Value to B2B Social Marketers, www.emarketer.com
- Facebook-WhatsApp data sharing now on pause in UK at regulator’s request, techcrunch.com
- How Many Hashtags Should You Use in a Tweet? A New Study Reveals This and More, smallbiztrends.com
- How To Get Traffic From Instagram: The Complete Guide, blog.tailwindapp.com
- Instagram’s Ad Business Is on a Rapid Trajectory, www.emarketer.com
- Is Social Media the New TV for Brands?, simplymeasured.com
- Marketing Using Twitter Moments, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Pinterest Revamps Inbox, www.adweek.com
- Shining light on Facebook’s AI strategy, techcrunch.com
- Twitter still might save Vine by selling it, TechCrunch
- Could Musical.ly be the next big social video platform?, econsultancy.com
- Download your ad revenue reports through the YouTube Reporting API service, youtube-eng.googleblog.com
- Facebook is testing video style transfer on Android and iOS using Caffe2go deep learning framework, venturebeat.com
- How to Use YouTube Ads on Your YouTube Channel, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Live video takes center stage on Election Day, digiday.com
- Now you can Facebook Live with Prisma’s art filters, www.theverge.com
- Trends: Facebook Live & Sports Publishers, media.fb.com
- Why BuzzFeed’s Recipe Videos Are So Insanely Popular, www.fastcompany.com