Marketing Day: Snapchat videos, IAB’s ad report & top 10 YouTube video ads
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Snapchat: We can prove people watch mobile videos *with* sound
Jun 9, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Snapchat’s claim that two-thirds of its videos are watched with sound counters Facebook’s efforts to convince brands mobile video isn’t audio-friendly.
- Retail study: 9 out of 10 consumers say free shipping No. 1 incentive to shop online more
Jun 9, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
The Walker Sands Future of Retail report found nearly a third of all consumers now shop online at least once a week.
- IAB: Q1 US ad revenues hit record $15.9 billion, up 21 percent YoY
Jun 9, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
The jump marks the biggest Q1 year-over-year increase in four years.
- 10 ways to get ready for the new AdWords
Jun 9, 2016 by Frederick Vallaeys
Columnist Frederick Vallaeys explores the potential impact of some new AdWords features announced at the Google Performance Summit in May 2016 and discusses how to prepare for these changes.
- 5 contemporary strategies that help improve your rankings
Jun 9, 2016 by Pratik Dholakiya
The rules of the SEO game have changed over the years, but columnist Pratik Dholakiya has some solid strategies for increasing search visibility and authority that you can safely use in 2016.
- Two tried and true methods to make social media impact SEO
Jun 9, 2016 by Dan Bagby
While social signals may not be directly factored into Google’s ranking algorithm, columnist Dan Bagby explains that social media can still be used to enhance SEO.
- Top 10 YouTube ads in May: Knorr’s #LoveAtFirstTaste wins top spot with 33M views
Jun 9, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Last month’s 10 most popular ads generated 60.8 million combined views, nearly doubling the number of views earned in April.
- Modern marketing is in need of an anti-channel mindset
Jun 9, 2016 by Mayur Gupta
Don’t get sucked in by “channel obsession.” Columnist Mayur Gupta explains why marketers need to move past channels and instead focus on the consumer and the consumer experience.
- Lithium launches Reach, a Klout-informed social content marketing tool
Jun 9, 2016 by Barry Levine
The data-driven insights, the company said, help marketers avoid “throwing spaghetti at walls” to see what kinds of social content stick.
- How to boost your conversion rate without changing your web content
Jun 9, 2016 by Jeremy Smith
How do you improve your conversion rates without any changes to your web content? Columnist Jeremy Smith reveals seven strategies.
- Google Analytics begins breaking out iOS traffic by model (when it can)
Jun 8, 2016 by Matt McGee
When iOS user agents include a specific device model, Google Analytics now lists them separately in the Mobile > Devices report.
- Improve the customer experience by understanding customer-managed journeys
Jun 8, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Businesses need to shift their focus to the customer-managed journey as opposed to the static, “mapped” customer journey.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Google testing filter buttons for Shopping ads: Filter by local availability, top rated and more
- Google Maps brings faster, smoother scrolling to Street View
- Yandex updates their version of PageRank named Thematic Index of Citation (TIC)
- Broad match: What is it good for?
- What is quality content?
- Do you have the right local SEO tools for the job?
- Phoebe Snetsinger Google doodle marks 85th birthday of famous bird watcher
- Apple gets into the SEM business with paid-search for app developers
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Analytics nightmare: 82 percent of mobile sharing is done through dark social, digiday.com
- Why Marketers Need to Rethink Measurement to Drive Growth, adage.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 12 Blog Monetization Strategies Used To Make $124,074, www.jeffbullas.com
- Image Tools You Can Use to Help Your Blog Look its Best, www.problogger.net
- WordPress.org Vs. WordPress.com Infographic: How To Choose The Right Platform For You, blog.crazyegg.com
- ‘Nest is not for sale,’ new CEO tells employees, www.theverge.com
- Facebook hires CollegeHumor’s Ricky Van Veen to make its giant video business even bigger, www.recode.net
- Google co-founder Larry Page is secretly building flying cars, www.theverge.com
- Report: Bids for Yahoo core business exceed $5 billion, www.usatoday.com
- Russian watchdog says not discussing settlement with Google yet, Reuters
- Twitter Promotes Ross Hoffman to VP, Global Media, www.adweek.com
- 5 Instant Content Creation Tips, www.searchenginepeople.com
- Boring Content Conclusively Linked to Migraines & Irreversible Apathy, www.cmswire.com
- Content Marketing Steps to Enlightenment, www.martechadvisor.com
- How Has Content Marketing Valuation Matured?, www.komarketingassociates.com
- How to Fuel Content With Dark Social, adage.com
- Lee Odden Q&A: Storytelling, Engagement, and Beating the Status Quo, www.toprankblog.com
- What Happens When Content Personalization Meets the B2B Funnel, www.convinceandconvert.com
- What’s the Content of the Selfie Generation?, www.adweek.com
- Why Gated Content and Lead Forms Are Killing Sales, www.convinceandconvert.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 6 UX Design Trends To Follow In 2016, usabilitygeek.com
- Contextual Web trumps responsive design for mobile-first experiences: Forrester Research, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- How to run successful website load tests, www.internetretailer.com
- Tag, You’re Not It: How AI Improves Website CX, www.cmswire.com
- 74 Percent of Small Business Websites Have No eCommerce, smallbiztrends.com
- Amazon Payments: Pros, Cons for Ecommerce Merchants, www.practicalecommerce.com
- AmazonFresh launches grocery deliveries in London, techcrunch.com
- How to maximize online sales for Father’s Day, www.internetretailer.com
- Low ratings are better than no ratings on Amazon, www.internetretailer.com
- The Brave New World of Omni-Channel Marketing, thedma.org
- Why good online retailers are also good editors, www.internetretailer.com
- 5 Ways Marketers Need to Segment Email Lists for Growth, blog.adstage.io
General Internet Marketing
- Call it Online, Call it Offline, It’s All Just Marketing, www.cmswire.com
- Fueled By Social and Web, Marketing Sees Largest Growth in Five Years, thedma.org
- How Your Marketing Smarts Can Solve Company Problems, www.silverpop.com
- Influencer marketing is becoming a joke: What can brands do about it?, econsultancy.com
- What Trends Are Marketers Trying This Year?, www.emarketer.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Cedato Rolls Out Open Video API for Customizable Native Video Experiences, PR Web
- Content.ad Expands Executive Team and Account Services Group to Meet Dramatic Publisher and Advertiser Growth, www.prweb.com
- Leading Brands Select CloudCraze for B2B Commerce on Salesforce, www.cloudcraze.com
- Opera Mediaworks and Immersion Drive Innovation for Brands With Touch Technology in Mobile Advertising, Business Wire
- 4 Things to Remember When Designing Continuous Apps, www.cmswire.com
- App Store Subscription Uncertainty, daringfireball.net
- Introducing Nearby: A new way to discover the things around you, android.googleblog.com
- The telling stats behind global mobile disruption, venturebeat.com
- The winners and losers of Apple’s App Store updates, digiday.com
- 5 Tips for Cracking the Social Marketing Code, simplymeasured.com
- 6 Video Tools to Ignite Your Social Marketing, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Can You Recover From A Facebook Rant Gone Viral?, www.blogherald.com
- Creating a Social Media Content Calendar an Interview with James from Zaapt.com, www.thesaleslion.com
- Driving More Action with Your Ads, blog.business.instagram.com
- Everyone Really Needs to Stop Freaking Out About the New Instagram Algorithm, www.marketingprofs.com
- Facebook is testing social commerce payments in Southeast Asia, TechCrunch
- Facebook Testing Ability for Users to Post to News Feed But Not Timeline, www.adweek.com
- How to Stand Out on LinkedIn With Visual Content, blogs.constantcontact.com
- In defense of Facebook algorithms and programmable news, digiday.com
- Instagram and Facebook Together Drive Greater Efficiency, www.martechadvisor.com
- Introducing 360 Photos on Facebook, media.fb.com
- Passwords for 32M Twitter accounts may have been hacked and leaked, TechCrunch
- Publishers test Snapchat’s tolerance for branded content, digiday.com
- Social Commerce: What It Is, What It Isn’t and Why You Should Care, conversionxl.com
- The 10 Golden Rules Successful Social Media Managers Live By, blog.bufferapp.com
- The Clear-Cut Guide to Social Media Engagement, www.ducttapemarketing.com
- This Snapchat Geofilter Is Fighting Unsafe Drug Use, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Twitter updates Fabric mobile app with new usage metrics: DAU, MAU, and retention, venturebeat.com
- Twitter vs. Snapchat: Which Has the Better Future?, www.adweek.com
- What B2B Marketers Can Learn From B2C Success on Instagram, www.cmswire.com
- Which Social Media Networks Should My Business Invest In?, www.bruceclay.com
- ‘A smoke-and-mirrors model’: Why YouTube networks feel forced to change, digiday.com
- 6 Critical Reasons to Do More Video, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- How B2B Businesses Get Long-Tail Value From YouTube, www.reelseo.com
- Six months in: What the BBC has learned using Facebook Live, digiday.com
- The future of video is vertical, texted & emotional, econsultancy.com
- YouTube launches Smart Offline feature in India to schedule video downloads during cheaper off-peak hours, venturebeat.com
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.