Marketing Day: Twitter awards, Google’s new map ads & the social executive
Here's our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- [WATCH] Marketing Land Live #22: Verizon buys Yahoo, earnings week & more
Aug 1, 2016 by Matt McGee
In this week’s show, we talk about Yahoo’s future with Verizon/AOL, and a big week of earnings for almost everyone but Twitter.
- Twitter will hand out awards to spark advertiser interest, investment
Aug 1, 2016 by Tim Peterson
The first-ever Twitter Awards will showcase the service’s best ads of the past year at a time when it needs to reignite advertisers’ interest and investment.
- 9 things most people don’t understand about SEO
Aug 1, 2016 by John Lincoln
New to the world of search engine optimization (SEO)? Columnist John Lincoln explains some things you might not know about this online marketing discipline.
- Excited about Google’s new map ads? You should be!
Aug 1, 2016 by Will Scott
Google Maps ads are changing to help local businesses become more visible. Columnist Will Scott discusses the four features you should be most excited about.
- Elon Musk and the rise of the social executive
Aug 1, 2016 by Chris Kerns
What can marketers learn from Elon Musk’s rabid following on Twitter? Columnist Chris Kerns dives into his Twitter feed to discover key tactics from his social activity.
- Report: 93 percent of US baseball stadiums have deployed beacons
Aug 1, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Sports teams that have deployed beacons and proximity technologies have seen an ROI as big as 40X in incremental revenue.
- The path to one-to-one content marketing
Aug 1, 2016 by Jose Cebrian
How do you create content that’s tailored to individual customers? Columnist Jose Cebrian outlines the steps for developing content that can be applied to a people-based marketing strategy.
- 7 ways to get to know your audience better
Aug 1, 2016 by Timothy Carter
Knowing your audience is central to any marketing strategy. So how do you get to know them? Columnist Timothy Carter discusses seven ways to learn more about your target demographics.
- The secret to intelligent growth: Know your customers
Aug 1, 2016 by Jordan Elkind
How do you keep your customers coming back? By gathering meaningful insights about them. Columnist Jordan Elkind outlines three ways to use customer intelligence to increase retention.
- Google revenues climb 21 percent to $21.5 billion, powered by mobile
Jul 29, 2016 by Greg Sterling
Growth is coming from three areas: mobile search, video and programmatic, but primarily mobile search.
- Automattic’s WooCommerce ecommerce platform now connects with Square
Jul 29, 2016 by Barry Levine
WooCommerce, a WordPress plugin, says this was its most requested integration.
- China’s largest search engine, Baidu, struggles on earnings
Jul 29, 2016 by Barry Schwartz
Baidu’s stock drops on their latest earnings release, showing signs of slower growth and profits than ever before.
Stay up to date on all things search related at Search Engine Land, our sister site dedicated to search news and information.
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Engagement Is a B.S. Metric and Your Ad Agency Knows It, adage.com
- Why You Should Dump Your Analytics Person (And Do THIS Instead), blog.kissmetrics.com
Blogs & Blogging
- 4 Useful Website Building Tips for the Rookie Blogger, www.blogherald.com
- 5 Ways to Get More Passive Income for your Blog, www.blogherald.com
- Challenge: 7 Days to Getting Your Blogging Groove Back, problogger.com
- Converting Blog Readers Into Clients, www.compukol.com
- How to Make Your Blog Rack up More Shares with Widgets and Plugins, www.martechadvisor.com
- Google has sold 30 million Chromecasts, 5 million in the past 2 months, 9to5google.com
- What’s in a Name? For Yahoo, Too Much and Not Enough, www.adweek.com
- Windows 10 passes 20% market share, venturebeat.com
- 6 Roles You Need for Successful B2B Content Marketing, www.convinceandconvert.com
- Brand content now part of half of CNN International ad deals, digiday.com
- Need Content? Drop Your Agency and Create Your Own Brand Newsroom, www.marketingprofs.com
- Stand Out by Blending In: Making Native Advertising Work on Mobile, www.adweek.com
- The Lines Between Native Advertising and Editorial Content Are Still Blurred, www.emarketer.com
- Why Content Bingeing is Critical to your ABM Strategy, www.martechadvisor.com
- Post-Conversion Autoresponder Tactics to Keep Your Leads Alive, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Why Scheduling Demos Might Be Destroying Your Conversion Rates, blog.crazyegg.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- How to Create Amazing Infographics, www.copypress.com
- In what contexts should messaging be the UI?, techcrunch.com
- Is Your Design Idea Hot Or Not? This App Will Tell You, www.fastcodesign.com
- M-commerce is better, but not perfect, with responsive design, www.internetretailer.com
- User Memory Design: How To Design For Experiences That Last, www.smashingmagazine.com
- Why You Should Use a WordPress CSS Live Editor Plugin, www.wpexplorer.com
- You Need to Read This Before Hiring a Web Designer, smallbiztrends.com
- Google Recommends You Update Links After Moving Domains But No Critical Loss, Search Engine Roundtable
- Verisign Statement Regarding .Web Auction Results, www.businesswire.com
- A Brief Guide to Contrarian Ecommerce Marketing, www.practicalecommerce.com
- Amazon gets analyst thumbs up on investment plans, www.retaildive.com
- Cheat Sheet to Ace the Online Back to School Shopping Rush, company-enterprise.myshopify.com
- Dirty truth about omnichannel retail, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- E-Commerce Explores Unfamiliar Territory: Feelings, www.cmswire.com
- E-commerce innovator Chad Dickerson: Crafting sales, www.internetretailer.com
- How to Optimize User Experience to Drive Mobile Commerce Sales, www.martechadvisor.com
- Leverage The New Holiday Promotion Cycle To Lure Omnichannel Shoppers, multichannelmerchant.com
- Speeding Mobile Checkout Can Save Sales, www.cmswire.com
- Walgreens plans to shutter Drugstore.com and Beauty.com, Internet Retailer
- How to Create an Email Welcome Series to Increase Sales and Engagement, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Misunderstood Aspects of Email Marketing and How to Combat Them, www.martechadvisor.com
- Spam Laws, Email Marketing, and Compliance, www.ducttapemarketing.com
- The 6 Biggest Email Marketing Myths, Debunked, www.searchenginejournal.com
General Internet Marketing
- 7 Retention Marketing Platforms for SMBs, streetfightmag.com
- Are Marketers Optimistic About the Rest of 2016?, www.marketingprofs.com
- Follow the ROI: The Channels Where Marketers Are Winning – Or Falling Behind, thedma.org
- Get Scrappy: 7 Tips for Smarter Digital Marketing, blog.marketo.com
- Marketers Root for Verizon as It Chases Facebook-Google Duopoly, adage.com
- Refine Your Personalization Efforts by Ditching Tech-First Tendencies, www.cmswire.com
- Martech and marketing technologists go mainstream — 3 key stats, chiefmartec.com
- The pros and cons of using Amazon Alexa as a model for chatbots, venturebeat.com
- 9 Useful Facebook Messenger Chatbots: Marketing Examples to Learn From, www.internetmarketingninjas.com
- Android will now send push notifications when new devices are added to your account, techcrunch.com
- Apple is improving emoji gender diversity in iOS 10, www.theverge.com
- Here’s what your boring app would look like as a conversation, techcrunch.com
- Marketers: You – Not Developers – Are the Main Consumers of APIs, www.martechadvisor.com
- Why universal mobile wallets will eventually overtake retailers’ offerings, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- Will Internet Users Start Using Mobile Payment Apps Anytime Soon?, www.emarketer.com
- Adding YouTube and Calendar to the HTTPS Transparency Report, security.googleblog.com
- Afraid of Online Reviews? Here’s How to Face That Fear Head On, smallbiztrends.com
- Brand Admiration and the Power of Love: Build a Brand That People Adore, www.marketingprofs.com
- When Content Backfires: How to Handle Negative Feedback Online, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Instagram to roll out anti-harassment tools, TechCrunch
- Twitter Fails to Harness Its Importance, Wall Street Journal
- 5 Charts That Show How Much Social Media Changed Since 2014, contently.com
- 5 Tips & Tricks for Making Killer Facebook Carousel Ads, 3qdigital.com
- 5 Ways to Get Noticed by Influencers on Twitter, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- Do You Really Need a Facebook Page for Each Location of Your Business?, www.localvisibilitysystem.com
- How to Create a Facebook Page for Your New Business, smallbiztrends.com
- How to Grow a Twitter Chat: Lessons from 2 Years of #bufferchat, blog.bufferapp.com
- Is Facebook a Colossal Waste of Money?, www.socialmediaexplorer.com
- Look Up: Countdown to Rio 2016 Begins on Facebook and Instagram, media.fb.com
- NBC and Facebook link for Olympics ‘social command center’, digiday.com
- Social Media Tips & Tools To Post Smarter: Content Scheduling, www.searchenginepeople.com
- Topnotch Facebook Plugins for WordPress, www.wpexplorer.com
- Vin Diesel Becomes First Actor With 100 Million Facebook Likes, www.adweek.com
- What’s New on Facebook Business for July 2016, www.facebook.com
- 10 Things You Need to Do When Getting Started on YouTube, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Google says 97% of connections to YouTube are now encrypted, techcrunch.com
- How to Create a Mind-Blowing Instagram Video Strategy, www.jeffbullas.com
- How to Use Facebook Live From Your Desktop Without Costly Software, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- Poor User Experience Holding Back The Video Advertising Industry, adexchanger.com
- Rio 2016 celebrations on YouTube, youtube.googleblog.com
- US Marketers to Step Up Social Video Ads, Particularly on Facebook, www.emarketer.com
- Why You Should Be Investing in Video, www.clixmarketing.com
- YouTube Engineering and Developers Blog: YouTube’s road to HTTPS, youtube-eng.blogspot.com
- YouTube reveals RNC and DNC livestreams were viewed over 9 million times, average watch time was 25 minutes, venturebeat.com