Get the most important digital marketing news each day.
Marketing Day: Video Ad Viewability Survey, Google+ Drops Ripples & Google Shopping Ads On YouTube
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Survey: Video Ad “Viewability” Doesn’t Ensure Brand Or Product Recognition
75 percent of viewers need at least 3 seconds to recognize the brand or product being advertised.
- Google+ Drops Ripples Feature; Is It Another Sign Of Doom?
Shutting down post-level analytics could be an indication of further dismantling of Google+ or it could be a sign that it’s simplifying the experience.
- Fashion Brand Targets Digital Savvy Shoppers With Street-View-Powered Mobile App
The youth-oriented urban clothing company sought to put its new line on the map by using the city as a backdrop.
- Retailers, Google Shopping Ads Are Coming To YouTube
TrueView for Shopping showcases retailers’ products in their YouTube video ads.
- Next Level Native Advertising: Where Intent, Creative & Content Meet
As consumers become more receptive to native ads, marketers are taking notice. Columnist Soo Jin Oh explains why it’s time for your brand to hop on board.
- An In-Depth Look At Second-Party Data For Digital Marketers
Second-party data is something you don’t hear about often. In part three of his multi-part series on the data landscape, columnist Alistair Dent takes a look at what second-party data is and how you can use it.
- [Infographic] Which Tech Brands Rule Social Media?
Which tech companies and brands are tops on social media? YouTube, Samsung, Apple and — surprise! — BlackBerry are the leaders.
- Why Mobile Programmatic Is The Next Frontier
Despite its initial technical hurdles, mobile programmatic is set to be a game changer. Columnist Alex LePage explains why.
- Automattic, WordPress’ Parent Company, Moves Into E-Commerce With WooThemes Acquisition
Deal, estimated at more than $30 million, gives Automattic nearly 400 employees worldwide.
- Racist Listings In Google Maps That Will Shock You & Why They May Be Happening
Once again, Google Maps is in the news for inappropriate listings. However, it might not be overt hacking to blame but instead crowdsourcing that’s not properly filtered.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Google Adds “Nearby Business” Mobile Ad Format For Location-Related Searches
- Is There Hope For Your Prospective PPC Client Or Campaign? Giving PPC Tactics Essential Support
- Google Launches Shopping Ads For YouTube, Integration With Merchant Center
- Apple Public Transit To Go Live With iOS 9, Also Making Indoor Mapping Push
- An In-Depth Look At Second-Party Data: Its Uses In Search And Beyond
- Should You Bid On Brand Terms? Bing Ads Releases Studies On Retail And Travel Brands
- 5 Steps To Better Online Marketing For Franchises
- Bing Begins Building Index Of Native App Content Through App Indexing
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- 5 ways to put your pile of audience data to work, digiday.com
- Dear Madison Avenue: Set My Data Scientists Free, adage.com
- How Lamborghini uses social engagement & loyalty KPIs to measure ‘desire’, econsultancy.com
- They Love Me? They Love Me Not? Data Analytics Can Tell You, www.cmswire.com
- Where Is Your Company’s Next Data Dalai Lama?, adexchanger.com
Blogs & Blogging
- Hey Bloggers! Is it Time to Focus a little Less on Your Blog and A Little More on YOU?, www.problogger.net
- Influencer Marketplaces: Your Beeline to Bloggers for Product Reviews (and Not Just), www.marketingprofs.com
- Professional Food Bloggers Give Their Perspective On Programmatic, adexchanger.com
- Why You SHOULDN’T Use WordPress for Your Blog, www.blogherald.com
- Write Your Way to More Polished Blog Posts, www.blogherald.com
- Flickr faces complaints over ‘offensive’ auto-tagging for photos, www.theguardian.com
- Some Tough Questions for ‘Security Questions’, googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com
- B2B Content Marketing Tips for Creating Winning Content, www.toprankblog.com
- How to Include Humor (Tastefully) In Your Content, www.searchenginejournal.com
- How to Leverage Content Marketing for Lead Nurturing, www.copypress.com
- How You Can Make Influencers Share Your Content, www.martechadvisor.com
- Producing Eye-catching Content Without a Designer, www.ducttapemarketing.com
- Should You Hire or Outsource Content Creation?, www.copypress.com
- The most useful thing about the phrase “Content is King”, www.cornwallseo.com
- The Ultimate Guide to Content Measurement, contently.com
- What to Do When B2B Content Marketing Efforts Hit a Proverbial Wall, www.komarketingassociates.com
- When Does Copyright Law Affect Your Content Marketing?, blog.marketo.com
- 4 Spam-Free Recipes For Nurturing and Converting Leads, unbounce.com
- Talking CRO with the CMO of Flow, blog.crazyegg.com
- To Grow Conversions, Cater to Target Audience, www.practicalecommerce.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 3 Tiny Words That Add Mystique to Your Social Posts, Blog Post Titles, Headlines & More, www.marketingwords.com
- How to Create a Killer Sales Page Headline, www.amyporterfield.com
- The 7 Rules of Caring for Junior UX Designers, uxmag.com
- The Disgustingly Simple Rule for Web Writing That’s Often Hard to Swallow, www.copyblogger.com
- Chehade quits as ICANN CEO, domainincite.com
- Domain definitions: whois privacy vs. whois proxy, domainnamewire.com
- How to Protect Your Brand from Scary Risks Posed by New Domains, blog.returnpath.com
- 5 Remote Store Management Tools for Merchants, streetfightmag.com
- Failed Retail Brands Get New Lives on Web, www.wsj.com
- Key takeaways from the Target settlement for retailers, www.internetretailer.com
- 3 Reasons to Use Instagram Photos in Your Emails, blog.movableink.com
- Hi & Goodbye: The Two Most Valuable Components of Your Email Program, blog.returnpath.com
- The Easiest Thing You Can Do to Get More Email Opens on Mobile, blogs.constantcontact.com
General Internet Marketing
- 30 Marketing Attribution Terms Every Business Should Know, www.visualiq.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- BlueConic Seamlessly Connects Mobile And Web Experiences, www.businesswire.com
- Gamut Launches GamutHD, More Transparency on Open Exchange, gamut.media
- Magnetic and MyBuys Announce Merger and $25 Million in Equity Funding, PR Newswire
- Nielsen Catalina Solutions Finds Mobile Drives Incremental Sales for Kellogg’s Pop-Tarts With Pandora Campaign, www.businesswire.com
- Sizmek Partners With Retailigence to Drive In-Store Shopping Through Dynamic Ads for Mobile and Desktop, globenewswire.com
- Text-to-Video Technology Company Wibbitz Launches in the U.S. Market With $8M in Funding and a New Platform for Publishers, www.marketwired.com
- 5 Native Smartphone Features That Boost Mobile Experience, www.getelastic.com
- China Leads World in Mobile Travel Research, www.emarketer.com
- Key Learnings on Navigating Native Mobile, yahoodevelopers.tumblr.com
- Slow load times are killing publishers in mobile, digiday.com
- The app’s role in mobile commerce, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- 4 Facebook Content Types and How Often to Use Them, simplymeasured.com
- 4 Tips On How to Use LinkedIn To Build Powerful Influence, www.jeffbullas.com
- 5 Brands That Rock Reddit (And What You Can Learn From Them), contently.com
- 5 Super-Charged Social Media Management Tools, www.convinceandconvert.com
- 8 Experts Share Their Favorite Strategies for Facebook Ads, www.socialmediatoday.com
- Everything You Wanted to Know About Facebook User Behavior, contently.com
- Facebook Messenger Eyes Non-Friend Conversations With Chat ID, TechCrunch
- How a Twitter Account Turned Into a $500,000 a Year Business, www.adweek.com
- How to Improve the Visibility of Your LinkedIn Profile, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- LinkedIn and Left Out: B-to-B Can’t Afford Closed Platforms, adage.com
- LinkedIn’s Personal Touch Increases ROI, www.compukol.com
- STUDY: Majority of Global Brands Still Focus on Facebook, www.adweek.com
- The 3 Most Creative Emoji Social Media Campaigns, www.convinceandconvert.com
- The Cost of Being Late on Social Media, www.adweek.com
- Top 3 Reasons You’re Not Getting Qualified Leads from Social Media, www.searchenginepeople.com
- Twitter CFO Explains Why He’s Overseeing Marketing, adage.com
- Twitter Hand-Holding for Advertisers No Defense for Slowdown, adage.com
- 60fps Live Streaming on YouTube in HTML5, youtubecreator.blogspot.com
- Digital Long-Form Video Goes Mainstream, advertising.yahoo.com
- Facebook Provides Video Reach, But Publishers Want ROI, adexchanger.com