Marketing Day: YouTube’s NFL deal, Instagram video ads & account based marketing
Here’s our recap of what happened in online marketing today, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web.
From Marketing Land:
- Pinterest to become an affiliate’s best friend again
May 12, 2016 by Tamar Weinberg
After a fifteen month hiatus, Pinterest has improved its spam tracking capabilities to support affiliate links once again.
- NFL expands deal with YouTube & agrees to bring more footage to its YouTube channel
May 12, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
The new deal includes the addition of “three of the greatest games in the history” from each of the league’s 32 teams.
- The SEO risks & rewards of buying multi-location companies
May 12, 2016 by Andrew Shotland
SEO value is rarely considered in acquisition deals. Using Sports Authority as an example, columnist Andrew Shotland discusses how a website’s SEO should factor into these discussions.
- Marin Software & SMX Launch 8th Annual Biggest Search Geek Contest
May 12, 2016 by Digital Marketing Depot
Enter the 8th Annual SMX Biggest Search Geek Contest. The challenging quiz-based contest is where the world’s brightest search marketers compete to outsmart fellow search geeks from across the globe.
- How Instagram is winning brands’ video budgets despite “controversial” sales strategy
May 12, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Brands are buying Instagram’s video ads for two reasons: They’re not costly to run and increasingly less costly to produce.
- Petplan CMO says the many 4-legged loves of her life inspired the pet insurance brand
May 12, 2016 by Amy Gesenhues
Get to Know: Petplan Insurance CMO Natasha Ashton
- Callidus’ cloud platform gets wired up for the Internet of Things
May 12, 2016 by Barry Levine
Data feeds from business devices redefine “customer relationships” for its sales and marketing applications.
- Google Analytics replaces Search Engine Optimization report with Search Console report
May 12, 2016 by Barry Schwartz
Google Analytics is now more deeply integrated and tied to the Google Search Console data.
- Marketers, rejoice! Today is National Fibromyalgia Awareness Day, National Limerick Day, National Nutty Fudge Day and National Odometer Day
May 12, 2016 by Will Scott
Are you capitalizing on holidays in your marketing campaigns? Columnist Will Scott discusses how brand marketers can use lesser-known holidays to help fill their content calendars.
- The ABM view from the other side of the pond
May 12, 2016 by Peter Isaacson
While account-based marketing is gaining traction in the States, where does it stand in other parts of the world? Columnist Peter Isaacson explores marketers’ approach to ABM in the UK.
- Flattr Plus: Publisher savior or unwelcome benefactor?
May 12, 2016 by Ben Barokas
Following Adblock Plus’s recent announcement of its payment tool, Flattr Plus, columnist Ben Barokas takes a close look at whether publishers will hop on board and if it can truly offer a solution to content compensation.
- Google and Bing each institute bans on ads in the name of consumer protection
May 12, 2016 by Ginny Marvin
This week, Google announced a ban on ads for payday loans, and Bing said it will block all ads for third-party tech support services.
- Marketing’s new balance: Customer connection vs. data and performance
May 12, 2016 by Scott Rayden
Don’t let a fixation on data let you lose sight of what’s truly important. Columnist Scott Rayden says marketers need to meet the needs of customers and create campaigns that tap into emotions.
- Report: FTC looking at reopening antitrust investigation against Google
May 11, 2016 by Greg Sterling
International regulatory actions, state attorneys general and competitor lobbying causing agency to reconsider action.
- Facebook’s paid Live deal terms restrict publishers from selling sponsored streams
May 11, 2016 by Tim Peterson
Facebook is prohibiting publishers it pays to use Facebook Live from getting other brands to pay to appear in those live streams.
- Adobe pumps up its Marketing Cloud
May 11, 2016 by Barry Levine
Adds enhancements in adtech, automatic content targeting, attribution and email subject lines.
Recent Headlines From Search Engine Land, Our Sister Site Dedicated To Search News & Information:
- Marin Software & SMX Launch 8th Annual Biggest Search Geek Contest
- Google’s ban on payday loans estimated to cost millions in lost ad revenue
- SEM ad copy tips that you may find scary
- Google Search Console metrics now deeply integrated into Google Analytics
- Pull Google Maps traffic data into AdWords with this script library
- The true value of technical SEOs
- Google launches iOS keyboard that lets you search in any app & more
- Bing Ads bans ads from third-party tech support services
- Google’s mobile-friendly algorithm boost has rolled out
Online Marketing News From Around The Web:
- Call Tracking: A Key Component in Campaign Marketing Analytics, blog.kissmetrics.com
Blogs & Blogging
- A Commenting System to Rule them All: Why Choosing the Right Comment System can Make or Break your Blog, www.problogger.net
- Alphabet’s market cap tops Apple’s, www.cnbc.com
- Google and Oracle’s $9 Billion Fair Use Fight Starts Today, A Guide, fortune.com
- Inside Evan Spiegel’s very private Snapchat Story, www.recode.net
- Pinterest Names First Female Director, www.wsj.com
- Buyer Personas You Want to Use: The 9 Essential Parts, contentmarketinginstitute.com
- How to Leverage Content Marketing in Boring B2B Industries, www.komarketingassociates.com
- Ready, Set, Go: How Content Readiness Delivers, www.cmswire.com
- Tools, Resources, & Platforms to Streamline Content Marketing, www.verticalmeasures.com
- 20 Conversion Rate Experts You Should Be Following Today, blog.crazyegg.com
- 5 Expert Tips for Converting Your Webinar Audience, www.convinceandconvert.com
- 7 Outstanding Ways to Use Salesforce for Customer Retention, blog.kissmetrics.com
Copywriting, Design & Usability
- 11 Copywriting Techniques That Will Improve The User Experience Of Your Site, usabilitygeek.com
- How to Write Traffic-Boosting Cornerstone Content (It’s Easier Than You Think!), seocopywriting.com
- The Three Key Reasons to Personalize Your Customer’s Digital Experience, thedma.org
- Why Website Templates Are Not Optimized (and What to Do About It), conversionxl.com
- .Com Passes 127 Million Registrations For 1st Time, www.thedomains.com
- 7 Powerful Tips on How to Choose the Right Domain Name, www.blogherald.com
- Coming Soon: New .Blog Domains for Websites, en.blog.wordpress.com
- Does Moving To a New gTLD Domain Name Help Rankings?, www.searchenginejournal.com
- World’s first vanity gTLD goes live, domainincite.com
- 5 Tips for Thriving on eBay, multichannelmerchant.com
- Close Your E-Commerce Sales with Content, www.cmswire.com
- Do or die: How retailers can innovate in an age of disruption, www.retaildive.com
- Google’s answer to Amazon’s Echo is code-named “Chirp” and is landing soon, www.recode.net
- What Products Are Amazon Prime Members Purchasing?, www.emarketer.com
- 5 Tips for Weaning Your Company off Email Blasting, www.silverpop.com
- Email Marketing Defined in 60 Seconds, www.copyblogger.com
- Want More Email Subscribers? Don’t Forget About Video, blogs.constantcontact.com
- Why Shea Serrano’s Fans Beg to Pay Him for His Newsletter, blog.mailchimp.com
General Internet Marketing
- 36 Authoritative Outreach Tips for Digital PR Specialists, moz.com
- Confessions of a social media exec on influencer marketing: ‘We threw too much money at them’, digiday.com
- Five Signs You Might Be Over-Invested in Digital Media, adage.com
- Influencers vs. Celebrities: The Critical Differences, simplymeasured.com
- This Year’s Marketing Mantra: Individualize, www.cmswire.com
Internet Marketing Industry
- Game Changing Partnership: Adelphic Now Delivers Mobile Futures via JUICE Mobile, www.juicemobile.com
- Successful CIOs Are Evolving Into Digital Marketing Heroes, www.marketingprofs.com
- 3 Mobile Scanning Strategies for Better Digital Experiences, www.cmswire.com
- 4 reasons why your app keeps getting deleted, www.mobilecommercedaily.com
- App Design Or Function: Where To Invest More Attention, smallbiztrends.com
- App Promotion in 2016: The Impact of Earned Media, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Apple Shortens App Review Times in Push to Boost Service Sales, www.bloomberg.com
- Report: Top 1% of Monetizing Publishers Generated 94% of All U.S. iOS Revenue in Q1 2016, www.adweek.com
- How To Optimize An About Us Page For Trust, smallbiztrends.com
- A long talk with Facebook about its role in journalism, www.theverge.com
- Facebook Feeds Rely on Data, Human Touch, www.wsj.com
- Facebook Reactions make up 16 percent of total publisher likes, digiday.com
- Facebook Testing Discover Feature for Groups, www.adweek.com
- Facebook Vs Twitter Advertising: Where Should You Invest?, www.jeffbullas.com
- How Agencies Can Use Social Signals to Build and Enhance Media Lists, www.newswhip.com
- How Facebook Data Is Helping the Golden State Warriors Sell Tickets, www.adweek.com
- How to Create Quality Facebook Canvas Ads, www.socialmediaexaminer.com
- How to Optimize Your Pins for the Pinterest App, blog.tailwindapp.com
- New research: The value of influencers on Twitter, www.Twitter.com
- Twitter’s New China Head Hints at Strategy During CES Asia, adage.com
- 15 Best Practices for Facebook Live, www.searchenginejournal.com
- Facebook Tweaks Rules on Video Ads After Mic Tests New Units, Wall Street Journal
- Google is reportedly announcing a standalone Android VR headset next week, techcrunch.com
- How to Find Brand-Boosting YouTube, Instagram Influencers, www.adweek.com
- IAB Study: 26 Percent of U.S. Adults Now Watching Original Digital Video, www.adweek.com
- Live-Streaming Apps Flourish in China, www.wsj.com
- Marketers and publishers rush into VR, but grumble about cost and consumer awareness, digiday.com
- Marketing Video: Data-Driven Marketing for Sustainable Growth, www.marketingprofs.com
- What These Goofs With 5 Billion Video Views Can Teach You, www.searchenginepeople.com
- Why Digital Video Players Should Stop Comparing Their Viewership to TV, www.adweek.com
- Why Virtual Reality is the ultimate storytelling tool for marketers, econsultancy.com
- YouTube Is Encouraging Users to Share Videos With a New in-App Messaging Feature, www.adweek.com