Pro Tip: Partnerships are critical in securing your martech stack
It’s past time to solidify the partnership with IT and security in your organization.
It seems we can’t make it more than a couple of weeks without hearing about a major company that’s suffered a major incident or breach, but for the second year in a row, the 2019 Martech Salary Survey shows that both data privacy/compliance reviews and security reviews were at the bottom of the responsibilities list for marketing technology and operations teams.
- IDC discovered that 40% of breaches originate with authorized users accessing unauthorized systems.
- In research conducted by Vanson Bourne, IT professionals rank marketing among the most likely to operate in an insecure manner.
- According to Gartner, by 2020, 100% BODs for large enterprises will expect updates on cybersecurity and tech risk.
As marketing technologists we can do better, but not alone.
Establish a process for working across teams
Setting the stage for
Processes will differ by company, but here’s an idea to get started:
- Marketing identifies a business need and submits a request with the “what” and “why” to the martech team
- Martech/IT teams review the request together to determine business priority, resource sizing and IT scope
- Output is provided to marketing leadership for prioritization
- Procurement teams work to provide vendors for a proof of concept
- Work with security to assess risk associated with vendor; recommendation provided to IT
- Upon IT and security approval, IT and martech teams coordinate a plan to implement the technology
- Martech and IT teams work closely throughout development, testing, implementation, onboarding and ongoing maintenance.
Create a security culture driven by business requirements
Partnering with IT and security teams before purchasing new tech can help you secure your martech stack, ensure safe implementations and integrations, enable productivity and save your company from expensive privacy regulation violations. If you’re not sure whether or not your stack is safe, it’s time to find your friends in IT and security.
Pro Tip is a special feature for marketers in our community to share a specific tactic others can use to elevate their performance. You can submit your own here.
Opinions expressed in this article are those of the guest author and not necessarily Marketing Land. Staff authors are listed here.