Twitter (Finally) Updates Its Mac Desktop Client
Version 4 brings desktop app more closely in line with standard mobile app experience.
Call it a late holiday present if you’d like: Twitter has finally released an updated version of its desktop client for Mac users.
Version 4 is out today and Twitter promises that “it looks and feels more like the Twitter you carry with you everyday.” If you’re not a Mac user, or if you’ve only ever used Twitter’s iOS app, it might be tough to appreciate how long Twitter has ignored its Mac client. But then you look at the list of new features and you start to understand; many of these are things that have been available on mobile or via other Twitter clients for a while now:
- Inline video playback – You’ll see videos play directly in your feed.
- GIFs support – See animations without leaving your timeline.
- Group Direct Messages – Create and receive private notes with up to 50 people.
- Mute – Silence specific accounts so you no longer see them in your feed.
- Today Center Widget – Get your Twitter Highlights right on your desktop.
- Dark Theme – Now you can see the world in black or white.
- Updated design – Get the latest improvements to icons, buttons, and interactions.
- Quote Tweet – Add your two cents to any Retweet.
Twitter 4 for the Mac is available now in the Mac App Store.