Twitter Releases Its First Official WordPress Plugin
Functionality includes automatic generation of Twitter Cards and customizing the look of Twitter embeds.
Martin Beck on February 25, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Twitter today announced the release of its first official WordPress plugin, bringing WordPress publishers easier access to a host of Twitter features and functionality.
The plugin gives publishers the ability to:
- Generate Twitter Cards: Twitter Cards, which extend Twitter’s 140-character display with thumbnail images, headlines and subheads, can be automatically generated for each of a site’s pages.
- Customize the look — including the color of links and borders — of embedded tweets.
- Directly embed Twitter video on pages.
- Add tweet buttons to posts: The buttons are configured to include URL, site and author accounts. They also can be customized to share text and hashtags specific to a post.
- Associate site and author Twitter Analytics to track impressions and top distributors of content on Twitter.
- Add follow buttons on every page, both within the WordPress theme’s widget area and adjacent to author information.
- Tie into Twitter’s advertising system with conversion tracking support and the ability to create tailored audiences with a WordPress macro.